Sunday, November 2, 2008

1st Trimester from Austin's view

So Jess had wanted to get pregnant for quite a while before we finally decided to start trying.  I tried to convince her that it would be in our best financial interest to wait until I was going to graduate from medical school.  However, she was very determined to get me to see her side and it eventually worked.  We both agreed that having a baby next spring would be perfect timing for both of us.  Jess would be off for summer and able to take care of our new child and I would have finished my tough clinicals and would be able to spend more time at home.  Thus, we decided to start trying in August.  

As things turned out we got a wonderful surprise in July.  Jess called me and told me she took a pregnancy test and that it showed 2 blue lines (positive).  I told her I wanted to see one for myself before I got my hopes up and sure enough the second one was positive too.  We set up our first OB appointment and neither of us were too impressed by the physician.  We changed to Dr. Betty Jo Dulaney who has turned out to be a great OBGYN.  Jess got her first ultrasound with Dr. Dulaney and it showed our little "peanut" sitting there in her uterus.  We then got a second ultrasound at 13 weeks that showed a much more developed baby, our developed baby.  

The first few weeks went great besides a few weeks of Jess having morning sickness.  The hardest part so far is that I have to work a lot of hours.  I was in my neuro rotation when we found out but I soon transfered to OBGYN and began working much more.  Now I'm in my surgery rotation which is supposed to be the worst of them all, and it has lived up to the hype.  The only good thing about my rotations is that OBGYN helped prep me for things to come.  Plus, I plan on delivering our baby so I made sure to get plenty of practice.  I will also have a pediatrics rotation in the spring so hopefully all the long hours will pay off when our baby is born.  

So now we wait.  Wait for the 20 week ultrasound to figure out the sex of our baby.  There are many landmarks that will be coming soon and we'll try to keep everyone updated.

1 comment:

Amanda and Justin said...

Austin, I could have swore that you just said that you would be delivering the baby.... talk about over-achieving! Someone is going for the dad-of-the-year award. hehehehe :)

No, really though, what a wonderful way to help bring your child into the world. I admire your strength to do so. Our hat's off to you!

We love yall!

Amanda & Justin