Sunday, January 18, 2009

Austin's Update (January)

So Jess is in her 26th week of pregnancy (that's almost 6 months).  I can finally feel Abby kicking pretty consistently.  Jess says she keeps kicking her bladder so I thought about getting her some diapers to wear, but then I thought again and figured that wouldn't be a good idea.  Abby appears to be a night person because she doesn't start kicking and punching until about 8pm.  I guess that might mean we are due for some restless nights.  

I just started my pediatrics rotation this month and am really enjoying the experience.  My rotation schedule has worked out pretty perfect as far as Abby is concerned.  I finished OBGYN in November and will finish Peds in early March.  I have already learned a lot about babies and what to look for when they're sick.  I'm sure it will still be a lot different with Abby because it will be OUR baby.  I'm pretty sure I can diagnose bronchiolitis with my eyes closed and a couple screaming kids in the room so we should be set for the winter months.  The only bad thing is that now I'm seeing all the bad stuff that can happen which will only fuel the paranoia when Abby is born.  

We are getting really excited about Abby's homecoming this spring.  I will finish my 3rd year clinicals in April.  After that my schedule should be much lighter which will allow me to spend much more time with Jess and Abby.  Jess and I are also thinking of doing an away rotation in Nashville or Chattanooga this summer.  Of course baby Abby would come with us which would allow everyone to see her much more often that month since we'll be closer.  OK, I guess that's about all for now.  I will try to update again before Abby arrives.  If not please forgive me, and if you don't I'll try not to lose any sleep at night.

No comments: